Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

titanium
Returning Member

[pls. ignore, wrong sub-section, cannot delete post] how to e-file 1040-C sailing permit?

EDIT: Apologies, just noticed this is in the wrong forum. I will re-post this in a more appropriate form because I cannot delete the pos.

I am leaving the US after a decade in the country. I am applying for Departing Alien Clearance (aka sailing permit). I have an appointment and the office called me that I need to fill the 1040-C Departing Alien Tax Return.

Appreciate if anyone can answer my questions. I couldn't find authoritative answers.

• Does Turbotax assist with this form?
  • Otherwise, how do I efile it with the IRS (I'll fill it myself) ?

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

[pls. ignore, wrong sub-section, cannot delete post] how to e-file 1040-C sailing permit?

The 1040-C is a standalone form that is not a regular tax return. Turbo Tax does not prepare or file 1040 C. The tax that you pay on the 1040-C can be used as a credit on your annual tax returns that you will file for 2024.  Here is a pdf copy of the 1040-C you can download and complete.

According to the instructions for filing 1040-C, you will bring this to the IRS office along with any other documentation outlined in the instructions so this isn't efiled beforehand. 

Please read the instruction link I provided thoroughly before your IRS appointment to make sure you are well- prepared and have all the documentation in hand. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The 1040-C is a standalone form that is not a regular tax return. Turbo Tax does not prepare or file 1040 C. The tax that you pay on the 1040-C can be used as a credit on your annual tax returns that you will file for 2024.  Here is a pdf copy of the 1040-C you can download and complete.

According to the instructions for filing 1040-C, you will bring this to the IRS office along with any other documentation outlined in the instructions so this isn't efiled beforehand. 

Please read the instruction link I provided thoroughly before your IRS appointment to make sure you are well- prepared and have all the documentation in hand. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
titanium
Returning Member

Thank you.

After I setup the appointment, somebody from IRS called me and asked me to bring two signed copies of 1040-C. It skipped my mind to ask whether these were like printed copies of an official filing. But, it looks like I just need to fill the form twice and take it to the appointment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies