turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yadfgp

My sister stayed with me for a few months last year due to CV19. She rents a HUD apartment. If I claim her as a dependent, does that put her at risk of losing her HUD?

She's disabled and lives on SS and HUD. She's lived in this building for the last 12 years or so.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My sister stayed with me for a few months last year due to CV19. She rents a HUD apartment. If I claim her as a dependent, does that put her at risk of losing her HUD?

Not sure if claiming your sister endangers her housing or not.  But slow down about trying to claim her just because she stayed with you for a couple of months.   Can you actually say that you paid for over half of her support in 2020?   What are you trying to do?   You will not receive stimulus money for claiming her.  And if you claim her SHE will not receive stimulus money.

Read the rules for claiming someone as a qualified relative VERY carefully and look carefully at what it means to support someone else---did you really support her?  If not then do not put anything about your sister on your tax return.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/what-does-financially-support-another-per...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
yadfgp

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. 

I've read all those rules regarding dependents many times and it seems to me as though she would qualify.

I haven't looked up her exact flight itinerary, but my best guess is around 6 to 7 months or so that she lived with me.

I didn't charge her any rent at all and paid for her food and transportation while she stayed with me. Based on the rules it seems to me that she would qualify. 

I actually tried contacting HUD about this and they recommended I ask someone who does taxes... 

From what I've read, it seems that prequalifying for HUD is the only time when it really matters for her HUD status.

Her landlord knew she was with me the whole time and he was fine with it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies