Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Priyank
Returning Member

My second home was vacant and I decided to convert it into rental. I renovated the house with new interior, paint etc. However I couldn't rent, can I deduct the expense?

The house is a vacation home and is outside US. It was empty for long time so in 2018, I decided to renovate it and list it as rental. I couldn't rent it for 2018 but it was listed. Now when I enter information in Turbo tax premier, it has I can deduct ZERO dollars.. ( it spells it), what am I doing wrong? 

The software walks me through rental and royalty section and asks all kinds of questions but at the end it says zero dollar deduction. What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anita01

My second home was vacant and I decided to convert it into rental. I renovated the house with new interior, paint etc. However I couldn't rent, can I deduct the expense?

You cannot deduct expenses such as painting because the property was not available for rent at that time.  If you did anything that counts as a real improvement, like adding new appliances or adding a bedroom or modernizing the bathroom, etc., you could add those amounts to the cost basis of the property and they would increase depreciation on the property.  You would enter the date the property became available for rent as the placed in service date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies