Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Moving Property to another LLC and transfer depreciation table

@Rockdog10  Not really.  Just finish the old LLC return first.  Then you'll have the final numbers for depreciation and everything for the asset.  Enter those final numbers as the beginning numbers manually in to the new company and you're set.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Enter those final numbers as the beginning numbers manually in to the new company and you're set.

It's a bit trickier than one might think. If you find the first year depreciation with the new company is wrong, just holler. 🙂

This certainly is quite challenging to do manually since we have over 100+ items from previous years.  I had an idea of doing a "save-as" from the previous LLC and just change the LLC information to the new one to transfer the existing depreciation table over.  Any possible issues with doing this if I clean up all the other items from the old LLC file?

Carl
Level 15

I had an idea of doing a "save-as" from the previous LLC and just change the LLC information to the new one to transfer the existing depreciation table over.

Oh, if it were only that simple. When it comes to taxes, if it was easy, you did it wrong. 🙂

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Not at all - as long as you're careful to remove any lingering data from the old company.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Now, I am realizing how 'tricky' this is.  From my old LLC, for all existing assets to be transferred to the new LLC, would I select the option "sold" or "disposed of by some other means" on why I stopped using this asset.  If so, would I select the "sold" price as the depreciated value so it would not trigger a gain or loss in my existing return.  I somehow need to registered that I stopped using this asset on 9/30/2021 without saying there was a change in ownership since the ownership of the two LLCs are the same.  Any ideas on this?

Carl
Level 15

@Rockdog10 now you see the issue. Here's how you do it correctly.

For the old business for each individual asset indicate "I stopped using this asset in 2021" and enter the date you stopped using it. On the "Special Handling Required?" screen, read the small print to understand why I am telling you to click YES. Then click YES.

Now add together the amount of prior years depr and current year depr to get the total depr taken on that asset up to the date you stopped using it. It's up to you to save that information somewhere outside of TurboTax, because you will 100% need that amount at sometime in the future. I guarantee it.

When you enter the asset in the new business, the cost basis of that asset in the new business will be the original cost basis from the old business *MINUS* the total amount of depreciation already taken on the asset in the old business. Your in service date for the asset in the new business can not be earlier than the opening date of the new business and *must be* at least one day *after* it was removed from service in the old business.

Depreciation will start over from the 1st year using the new, adjusted cost basis. So the yearly depreciation on the asset in the new business, will be lower than the yearly depreciation was on the asset in the old business.

Now, it's up to you to keep track of the original cost basis and depreciation taken in the old business. When you sell or otherwise dispose of the asset later in life, you will have to account for that depreciation in the tax year you sell or otherwise dispose of the asset. If you don't, then the depreication from the old business will be included in capital gains and taxed at the higher capital gains tax rate, instead of the "ordinary" income tax rate.

Read @Rick19744's post again (above). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies