turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Move rental property from Schedule E to Form 1065

Hi there!

My wife and I used to have a rental property in our own name and reported it via Schedule E on our personal tax return for a few years. It was also reported on Form 4562 when it was originally acquired, so we can have the proper depreciation schedule. Last year the property was moved to the partnership LLC (two partners, me and my wife), so I'll be reporting it via Form 1065 and individual K-1's this year (TurboTax Business).

I need your help in figuring out how to properly make that transition since it was mid-year when the property was moved to the LLC.

1) Do I need to report that property on Form 4562 for the LLC, or how do I start depreciating it via TurboTax Business? I haven't found any other way but to add it as a new asset that would be added to the form. Also, do I use the cost basis that was used when the property was purchased, or do I need to recalculate it for 2021?

2) What should I do with the rest of the property's income and expenses that were last year? Should I simply report everything before it was moved to the LLC on my personal Schedule E and the rest via Form 1065?

3) How do I mark that the property was moved to an LLC in my personal tax return? Do I need to do anything special about that, so TurboTax knows that it needs to only take a certain depreciation last year rather than the full amount?

Sorry, there are a lot of questions, I hope this awesome community will help me out.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can you tell us if you live in a community property state.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Hi Rick19744! I live in Utah which is not one of the community property states to my knowledge. Thus I'm pretty much sure I need to file Form 1065. Also, the EIN form that I've received for the LLC says that I need to file it by 03/15/2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies