turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MCC tax credit usage on a rental property

I have a MCC tax credit issued by washington state for a home i purchased in 2015. I have lived in this home until mid year 2018 to where i converted it to a full time rental property. In 2019 the property was rented the entire year. Am i still able to claim the MCC tax credit for my property? I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I have reached out to the Senior Program Compliance Administrator Homeownership Division with the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, Christian Hayes.  

Per his response, If you move out and rent the home the MCC is no longer valid from the year you move.  

However, as micknorris stated, the recapture tax would only occur if you sold the property within the first 9 years.  

@passthebiscuits 

@micknorris 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I found this from Washington state regarding MCC is not currently supported or offered.. I can't find more, but I do know that in other states, the house must be your primary residence.

If you have questions about the Mortgage Credit Certificate Program, please call us them at  800.767.4663 or email info@heretohome.org.

From <https://www.wshfc.org/buyers/MCCprogram.htm>

I already have the mcc from 2014. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, if you are using the property as a rental property, you cannot use the MCC.

@micknorris

My question is , is it legal to rent and just not claim the tax 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You cannot claim the tax credit for years the property is not your primary residence.

[Edited 1/19/2021 6:27 pm EST]  

Does this mean I can legally use my property for one year as a rental and not claim the MCC but then re-use the MCC when I return to using the property as my primary residence?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

No, if your home is not used as your primary residence for which the MCC program was issued, there could be a recapture tax applied for that tax year. 

A re-issuance for the MCC would have to occur to continue receiving the credit for the property, as the MCC is currently not being offered in 2022.  There is a checklist for the re-issuance of the MCC.  See the link below for the Checklist:

MCC Re-Issuance Package Checklist

@passthebiscuits 

Thanks for your reply, @BrittanyS ! Follow-up question: I used an MCC between 2019-2021 while my house was my primary residence. As of June 2022, my house is no longer my primary residence and is being used as a rental (I currently live with my parents and do not own a secondary property). Does this mean my MCC is null and void? 

HopeS
Expert Alumni

No, if you are using the property as a rental property you cannot use the MCC. To qualify for the credit you must meet income and purchase price restrictions, and the home must be used as your primary residence.

See also page 4 of  the attached FDIC guidance which states under the Occupancy Section "Borrowers must use the home as their principal/primary residence."

Mortgage Tax Credit Certificate

@passthebiscuits 

The recapture would only apply if you sold your home within the 9 year observance window correct? After 9 years there should be no recapture consideration.

It wouldn't be void, you just can't use the MCC while it is a rental (secondary residence). If you were to convert it back to your primary residence and live there full time you would be able to claim MCC again. That is the way I understand it anyway. The language around MCC usage is super vague in my opinion. 

Thank you!! This is the exact guidance I was looking for. You're right: the language around the MCC is rather vague imho.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I have reached out to the Senior Program Compliance Administrator Homeownership Division with the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, Christian Hayes.  

Per his response, If you move out and rent the home the MCC is no longer valid from the year you move.  

However, as micknorris stated, the recapture tax would only occur if you sold the property within the first 9 years.  

@passthebiscuits 

@micknorris 

@BrittanyS thank you for checking on this!! This is SUPER helpful! 🙏🙏

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies