Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loaning Personnel Money to LLC (Rental Property)

This LLC has one rental property. Husband and Wife are member of this LLC. Because of non-payment of rent, I am planning to loan my personnel money to the LLC to cover operating expenses. How do I report this in FORM 1065? Our Operating agreement says that members can loan money to the LLC. Are there documentation that I need to create for this loan? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

You should document the loan carefully and report the interest the LLC pays you.

M-MTax
Level 11

The note itself is a balance sheet entry (liability for the LLC)

Thanks for the response. How to determine the interest rate?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@narendran-kandas , while agreeing with my colleague @M-MTax  on documentation of the loan  ( and generally  interest  charges ),  however you may want to consider the  benefit vs. complication of interest  earnings.  Yours being a partnership  i.e. a pass through entity ( and a Husband and Wife  and state law effects ), you will both show the interest  being earned  ( taxable ) and  interest being paid ( by the LLC )--- ultimately showing up on your own return though K-1. 

I strongly believe in KISS  ( Keep It Simple Stupid ).

Namaste ji

pk

M-MTax
Level 11

I agree with pk. Why not just make this a capital contribution?

another reason to make it a capital contribution is if the rental has a passive loss limitation. Then the interest may not be currently deductible, but the interest would be taxable. 

M-MTax
Level 11

another reason to make it a capital contribution is if the rental has a passive loss limitation. Then the interest may not be currently deductible, but the interest would be taxable. 

Yeah, that's right especially for a married couple. This is more like moving money from one pocket to another and losing a little in the process. 

@M-MTax @Mike9241 @pk Thanks all for the guidance. I will make it a capital contribution. I believe I should report this Form 1065 (Sch K-1). Is that correct?

yes it should be entered when you get to the partner section of Turbotax business.

whether it will show up depends on whether Question 4 in Scedule B is answered yes or no. but to avoid any issues now or in the future it should be entered.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies