turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aays2
Returning Member

Lived in Indiana till March and then moved to CA. I have capitol gain/loss for the whole year. So for capitol gain/loss , how to divide loss/gain between the states?

Should I enter 0 in 1 and 3 and for 2 I should enter all transactions that occurred after March?

1. Earned/Rec'd from CA Source as if Nonresident for Full Year _______

2. Earned/Rec'd While a CA Resident  _______

3. Earned/Rec'd from CA Source While a CA Non resident _______

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Lived in Indiana till March and then moved to CA. I have capitol gain/loss for the whole year. So for capitol gain/loss , how to divide loss/gain between the states?

Unless some or all of the gain was from the sale of a business or real estate located in California, #1 and #3 will be $0.  For #2 you will enter the amount of dividends you received while living in California. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aays2
Returning Member

@DavidD66 Ordinary dividends info is asked before the gain calculation. Do I to add the dividends again in #2? For ex: Apple is in California so I had to add the gain from Apple share in line #2 even though I sold the share before moving to CA?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Divide your dividends according to where you were living when they were paid. If you sold all your Apple (APPL) shares before moving to California, then report the whole amount to Indiana.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies