Lived in California till March and then moved to T...

rjvs876

Lived in California till March and then moved to TX. I have capitol gain/loss for the whole year. So for capitol gain/loss , how to divide loss/gain between the states?

TomYoung

The date of the transactions dictates how you split the resulting capital gains and losses.  Gains and losses while you were a resident of California go on the California income tax return.  If the securities sold while a Texas resident create compensation income because the securities were employee stock granted to you while a California resident then California will claim that compensation as taxable income, but not the capital gain or loss.

rjvs876

Thank you for your response. I am referring to stock trades not employee stock grants. For example i buy stock for $1000 while in california on 01/30/2019 and i sold in 04/01/2019 in texas for $1200. How the calculations works? Here $200 gain goes to california?

TomYoung

I should have been clearer.  The sales date is what's governs what state gets to claim the income.

rjvs876

extremely sorry for asking toomany questions. THank you very much. I still have problem. I am using turbotax deluxe. here is one transaction.

First, enter the amount of gain or loss from this transaction received from California sources
as if you were a nonresident for the entire year. Then allocate gain(or loss) based upon periods
of California residency and nonresidency during 2019. if none, enter zero.
Description : Company A
Date Aquired:various date sold: 01/12/2019    (my move 03/12/2019)
Total Gain/Loss : $1300
Earnes.Rec'd from CA Source as if Nonresident for Full Year : _____
Allocation Type: DATE-Allocate Based on Date Sold
Earned/Rec'd while CA resident : 1300
Earned/Rec'd from CA Source While a CA Nonresident: ____

I really appreciate if anyone can give me this simple calculation as base for my rest of the calculation. 

rjvs876

does Turbotax premium, calculates the capital gain/loss tax automatically from the transactions sold date. I imported all the trades directly into tt and then choose "DATE-Allocate Based on Date Sold". When I looked at the each transaction, I see it has the correct values. Do I need to manually split anything here or it doe automatically based on the date sold and residency statuses.