Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Salparadise808
Returning Member

Life estate to rental property

Just before 2022, I was given a shed and two grain bins through a quitclaim deed that were on my property but previously set aside for another's use under a life estate arrangement.  For 2022, I rented the shed and bins out to a local farmer for his use.  I received a 1099-MISC for this rent at the end of the year.

Should these outbuildings be considered as an "Other" rental with the same address as my residence and acquired through "inheritance"?  Or perhaps through a "gift"?  Or should I consider the outbuildings as "other property" assets to be depreciated?  The latter option is more confusing, as I need to enter a fair market value under "Cost" to calculate the depreciation,  but I didn't pay anything for the outbuildings in the exchange.

If I am missing some details in this explanation that would help facilitate an answer, please let me know.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You have to calculate your basis in this scenario since the life tenants essentially gave you a gift of their interest.

In that event, you have a carryover basis for the value of the life tenancy relinquished (plus your basis as remainderman). You need to use the IRS actuarial tables to determine the value of the life estate.

See https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/actuarial-tables

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@Salparadise808 wrote:

If I am missing some details in this explanation that would help facilitate an answer, please let me know.

One critical detail you missed was stating whether or not the life tenant passed or is still alive and that person simply quitclaimed the interest to you as the remainderman (so that you owned the entire property).

If the former is the case (i.e., the life tenant passed away), then you succeeded to sole and exclusive ownership of the property by operation of law and your basis for the assets is the fair market value on the date of death of the life tenant. 

Salparadise808
Returning Member

The life estate tenant (and his wife, who was also listed on the life estate contract) are both still living; they quitclaimed the property to me and the title work was changed so that I am now the "sole and exclusive" owner.

Does the conclusion of your second paragraph still hold, then?  And should I consider the outbuildings as assets therefore?

You have to calculate your basis in this scenario since the life tenants essentially gave you a gift of their interest.

In that event, you have a carryover basis for the value of the life tenancy relinquished (plus your basis as remainderman). You need to use the IRS actuarial tables to determine the value of the life estate.

See https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/actuarial-tables

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies