Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this wash sale calculation correct? Looks like a rounding bug?

Wealthfront robo-advisor keeps doing some stupid tiny sales to rebalance my account which causes nothing but trouble. Nevertheless the sale did happen so I've imported the 1099-B which has two interesting transactions:

1. proceeds $50.16, cost basis $50.42, loss $0.26W (correctly indicating wash sale)

2. proceeds $50.36, cost basis $50.73, loss $0.37W (also correctly indicating wash sale)

In turbo tax it looks like that due to rounding (8948)

1. proceeds $50, cost $50, column f: W, column g: (adjustment) $0, column h (profit loss after adjustment): $0

2. proceeds $50, cost $51, column f: W, column g: (adjustment) $0, column h (profit loss after adjustment): -$1

Questions:

Reporting of 1. looks verbose. Due to rounding there is effectively no loss or gain so the whole adjustment and marking it as "W" doesn't make sense but since it's been marked in 1099-B as "W" it seems to be OK? Should I leave it like that?

Is reporting of 2. correct? Due to rounding the cost goes up to $1 so there is this theoretical $1 of loss. However the adjustment being the difference from before the rounding is $0.37 which is rounded to $0. This results of deductible loss of -$1 which seems to be a bug as it was indeed a wash sale? Seems wrong.

If this is indeed a bug what should I do about it? It seems that it would make sense to calculate adjustment using numbers after the rounding which would mean $1 adjustment and $0 gain/loss in the column h. Should I correct it adjustment to $1? If yes, should this adjustment be -$1 or +$1?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can make that adjustment if you want, but it is unnecessary given the nominal amount of money you are dealing with. You can leave the entries the way they are as the IRS will not be concerned about them since a $1 entry will not significantly affect your income tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your answer.

I understand that it’s little to no money difference but I would prefer TurboTax to calculate and report my taxes correctly no matter if IRS is going to go after me or not. You’ve said that I can change it if I want.

Does it mean that it is incorrect as is or it’s correct? Is the correct adjustment $1 or $0 in this situation?

thanks!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Your return is correct as is because the IRS allows you to round off whole dollars. The IRS understands this so no adjustment is necessary,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 ,

I understand the rounding but the problem here is that TT calculates profit loss using rounded numbers ($50 - $51) and adjustment using not-rounded numbers and then rounds it ($50.36 - $50.73 = -$0.37 so rounds to $0). While IRS allows rounding it needs to be done in a consistent way. 

If both profit/loss and adjustment were calculated using rounded or not-rounded numbers everything would be fine with profit/loss = $0. Due to inconsistency of rounding moment the loss = -$1 when clearly I am not eligible to report it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies