Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect Depreciation Calculations

We bought and renovated a home in 2021.  We are started airbnb-ing at the very beginning of 2022 and rent it 96% of the year.  I am trying to depreciate the renovations.  Land improvements depreciate over 15 years.  Permanent fixtures to the house (tile and hardwood flooring, cabinets, etc.) depreciate over 27.5 years.  

If I had $1,500 of land improvements, I should have at least $96 in depreciation (1/15 of the total improvement x 96%) in 2022.  (And actually it should be more than $96 because the depreciation method that turbotax uses frontloads the depreciation so that it's more in the early years.) However, in this scenario, turbotax is calculating only about $50 of depreciation.  I gone back over and over, re-entered, and it's doing the same thing with every land improvement that I have.  

Also, on 27.5 depreciable year improvements to the home, instead of giving me 96% of the deduction (1/27.5 of the total improvement), it's giving me about 92%???

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is using the basis for depreciation of Land Improvements of $1,440 (not $1,500) based on the information I entered below. 

According to IRS Publication 946, Table A-1, page 69, the depreciation amount is 5% for year 1 for 15-year property which is $72. I was able to recreate that depreciation in TurboTax. 

I did not try and recreate your rental building since I did not have any information. Please refer to IRS Pub 946.

Using the Home & Business version of TurboTax:

1. On the Tell Us About This Rental Asset screen, I entered Land improvement

$1,500 and 2/1/2021 as the Date purchased or acquired. 

3. On the Tell Us More About This Rental Asset screen, I entered:

• I purchased this asset
  • No, I have not always used this item 100% of the time for this business.
  • I first used this item at least part of the time for this business, and also used it for personal purposes.
  • Date I started (or it was available to rent) using it in this business: 01/01/2022 
  • Percentage of time I used this item for this business in 2022: 96%

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  Super helpful

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies