turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In regards to rental property sale. Do I have to pay normal federal taxes (as in taxable income) in addition to the capital gains tax rate? Also does California (the location of the property and resident state) also count it as capital gains and/or inco

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In regards to rental property sale. Do I have to pay normal federal taxes (as in taxable income) in addition to the capital gains tax rate? Also does California (the location of the property and resident state) also count it as capital gains and/or inco

No, it is just the capital gains rate for Federal.

However, the tax on the depreciation is taxed at your regular tax rate, up to 25%.  The rest of the gain is usually taxed at 15%.  I think California treats it all as regular income.

However, that 'extra' income may affect other things on your tax return, such as the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax and some credits and/or deductions could be reduced.

For example, let's say you bought the property for $100,000, took $20,000 of depreciation, sold it for $150,00, and did not make any improvements to the property.  The $20,000 of depreciation is usually taxed at 25%, and the other $50,000 gain is usually taxed at 15%.  Plus State taxes, plus that 'extra' income could affect other things on your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, it is just the capital gains rate for Federal.

However, the tax on the depreciation is taxed at your regular tax rate, up to 25%.  The rest of the gain is usually taxed at 15%.  I think California treats it all as regular income.

However, that 'extra' income may affect other things on your tax return, such as the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax and some credits and/or deductions could be reduced.

For example, let's say you bought the property for $100,000, took $20,000 of depreciation, sold it for $150,00, and did not make any improvements to the property.  The $20,000 of depreciation is usually taxed at 25%, and the other $50,000 gain is usually taxed at 15%.  Plus State taxes, plus that 'extra' income could affect other things on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies