turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Started renting our primary residence in 2014. We bought a new house. We sold the rental in 2016. We got a check for $46k. Why am I getting money back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Started renting our primary residence in 2014. We bought a new house. We sold the rental in 2016. We got a check for $46k. Why am I getting money back?

If you went through the rental section and answered all the questions regarding the sale correctly, the program figures profit or loss from the sale. If you have a loss, since it is a business property, it is deductible. The cash in hand is irrelevant.

The calculation involves cost plus improvements plus sales expenses minus depreciation is your adjusted basis. Sales price minus adjusted basis is gain or loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you went through the rental section and answered all the questions regarding the sale correctly, the program figures profit or loss from the sale. If you have a loss, since it is a business property, it is deductible. The cash in hand is irrelevant.

The calculation involves cost plus improvements plus sales expenses minus depreciation is your adjusted basis. Sales price minus adjusted basis is gain or loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies