Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If it asks if I want to use last years earned income for a higher refund and it increases my refund is this allowed?

My refund is $1426 (I made less income this year) but when I say YES to use 2019 recalculate earned income it increases to $4137 Does this sound right?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If it asks if I want to use last years earned income for a higher refund and it increases my refund is this allowed?

Yes, as long as the numbers are correct. If you filed with TurboTax Online last year and are using the same account, TurboTax will have your 2019 information on file. You can check what TurboTax is using as your earned income against the numbers on your 2019 return.

The federal government is allowing taxpayers to use 2019 earned income for the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit because many people lost their jobs and made less money. Others received most of their earnings from unemployment, which is not considered earned income. They too would receive less in tax credits if they had to use 2020 income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies