turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I report my 2018 rental income and expense on Schedule E, will I be able to deduct 20 per cent of the net rental income as a Trade or Business on page 2 of the 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I report my 2018 rental income and expense on Schedule E, will I be able to deduct 20 per cent of the net rental income as a Trade or Business on page 2 of the 1040?

Yes but the mechanics of this quasi 20% deduction is still unclear and until some regs come out all we can do is speculate ... I look forward to seeing how this messy code section will be explained and the forms/worksheets it will produce. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes but the mechanics of this quasi 20% deduction is still unclear and until some regs come out all we can do is speculate ... I look forward to seeing how this messy code section will be explained and the forms/worksheets it will produce. 

It is still unclear if rental property qualifies as a "Trade or Business" for the 20% reduction that was enacted by the new law.

Hopefully the IRS will clarify within the next few months.

However, many people, including Continuing Education Providers for tax professionals, have been asserting that rentals do qualify.  But again, we will need to wait for the IRS to clarify the matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies