turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i rented a home and split the total rent with roommates, do i enter the split amount i paid every month, or the total rent for the home?

for the Michigan Homestead property tax credit, all of our names were on the lease.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Belling

If i rented a home and split the total rent with roommates, do i enter the split amount i paid every month, or the total rent for the home?

You will enter only the amount that you individually paid for rent within tax year 2015.

Your roommates will do the same on their own tax returns, and you will all be able to claim the Michigan Homestead Property Tax credit. (Well, as long as each of you meet the the eligibility requirements as well)

It is not as if there is 1 renters credit per house rule. You are each individuals and you each pay your own amount of rent each month. Therefore, you will enter the amounts you paid for your portion of rent only, when filling out the MI homestead property tax credit questions. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Belling

You will enter only the amount that you individually paid for rent within tax year 2015.

Your roommates will do the same on their own tax returns, and you will all be able to claim the Michigan Homestead Property Tax credit. (Well, as long as each of you meet the the eligibility requirements as well)

It is not as if there is 1 renters credit per house rule. You are each individuals and you each pay your own amount of rent each month. Therefore, you will enter the amounts you paid for your portion of rent only, when filling out the MI homestead property tax credit questions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies