• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sh00terk

If I live in Florida and made all my money in FL but have a rental property in DE with a net loss, do I need to file a DE state tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK1
Level 9

If I live in Florida and made all my money in FL but have a rental property in DE with a net loss, do I need to file a DE state tax return?

Yes, You must file a Delaware state tax return if you have any gross income during the tax year from sources in Delaware.If your deductions offset the rental income you are still required to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MaryK1
Level 9

Yes, You must file a Delaware state tax return if you have any gross income during the tax year from sources in Delaware.If your deductions offset the rental income you are still required to file.

sh00terk

Thanks for the help!
MaryK1
Level 9

You are welcome, unfortunately, DE is one of a small handful of state that require filing even with a loss.  It becomes a problem for people who did not know and did not file when they sell the property.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v