Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

djliska

If I live in an owner occupied duplex, can I still claim part of my insurance, property taxes, and mortgage interest under rental property expenses?

Hal_Al

Yes. You prorate the expenses based on the unit sizes. For example if the total building is 1000 square feet (sf) and your unit is 600 sf; then 40% of the insurance, taxes and mortgage are deducted as rental expenses on schedule E

ratings image
Hal_Al

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~