Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I think I have seen an error on TurboTax SCHEDULE E WORKSHEET, PART I, LINE 9.

TurboTax SCHEDULE E WORKSHEET, PART I, LINE 9 seems to be calculating the wrong percentage for vehicle's PERCENT OF USE. The comment on LINE 9 says it is from "LINE6, DIVIDED BY LINE 5C".

LINE 5C is: 3000

LINE 6 is: 48

LINE 9 is calculated as 0.40% 

( Seems to me that LINE 9 should be 1.6%,  since 48/3000 = 0.016 )

The screen capture is below:

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 17-56-39 TaxReturn.pdf.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The program divides lines 6 by line 5c (then multiplies the result by line 10b divided by 12 months, if line 10b has an entry). In the case of the example you provided, the calculation is (48/3000) * (3/12) = 0.40%.
If you had used the vehicle for 12 months, the percentage would have been 1.6%

Any time you question how a number is calculated, right-click on the box and choose "About" to see the On-Demand Tax Help for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The program divides lines 6 by line 5c (then multiplies the result by line 10b divided by 12 months, if line 10b has an entry). In the case of the example you provided, the calculation is (48/3000) * (3/12) = 0.40%.
If you had used the vehicle for 12 months, the percentage would have been 1.6%

Any time you question how a number is calculated, right-click on the box and choose "About" to see the On-Demand Tax Help for more information.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Would be nice if TurboTax included the information you gave me in the comment next to the valus also (ie: that it divides by the number of months also).

regarding right clicking. I like that idea, but, I am looking at the tax forms generated by Turbotax PRINT CENTER, and I cannot right click on any vlue there as ti is simply a 'report'. I tried going back into the interview section, such as where i enter income and rental information - but don't see where I could right click anything there - since the only values (or that I can recall seeing) are the values that I ENTERED.  Is there a way to generate the final tax forms, or work sheets, etc,, - where I can actually RIGHT CLICK on values to see how they were arrived at, or, where they came from? (If not - that would CERTAINLY be a great idea to upgrade TT with! I am often looking at the final tax forms/tax docments (ie:tax reports) and wondering where numbers come from.)

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The right-click option is available in TurboTax for Desktop only. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is the desktop version the same price as online version?

Also, is there a way to import my tax data from the online version and use it in the desktop version, so I don't have to enter my history (including the landording history) all over again in the desktop version?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies