Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kckobbins

I started a wedding decor rental business this year. I purchased silk flowers throughout the year. For the date incurred, do I enter each purchase separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I started a wedding decor rental business this year. I purchased silk flowers throughout the year. For the date incurred, do I enter each purchase separately?

Edited

No, that would be torture. Total your purchases of any supplies and record it under supplies. The same hold true for any category of expense.

If you are referring to 2018:

A recent U.S. Tax Court decision drives home the important point that current deductions aren’t allowed for most expenses incurred while a new business is still in the start-up phase. Other decisions have dealt with the same issue in recent years. So, the proper federal income tax treatment of start-up expenses remains an ongoing source of confusion for taxpayers.

Here’s what you need to know about deducting start-up costs, along with a real-life example of how the Tax Court applied the rules. 

Internal Revenue Code Section 162 allows current deductions for “ordinary and necessary” business expenses. Section 162 expenses are basically routine expenses incurred in operating an up-and-running business. Examples include employee wages, rent, utilities and advertising. Section 162 expenses can generally be deducted in the year when they’re paid or incurred. 

Many taxpayers are unaware that Section 162-type expenses incurred by a start-up can’t necessarily be deducted right away. That’s because these expenses are classified as Section 195 start-up expenses until the “active conduct” of business begins. 

Once a taxpayer meets the active-conduct standard, Section 162-type expenses become Section 162 expenses, and the taxpayer can deduct them currently. (This assumes that other provisions — such as the passive activity loss or at-risk basis rules — don’t come into play and prevent current deductibility.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Edited

No, that would be torture. Total your purchases of any supplies and record it under supplies. The same hold true for any category of expense.

If you are referring to 2018:

A recent U.S. Tax Court decision drives home the important point that current deductions aren’t allowed for most expenses incurred while a new business is still in the start-up phase. Other decisions have dealt with the same issue in recent years. So, the proper federal income tax treatment of start-up expenses remains an ongoing source of confusion for taxpayers.

Here’s what you need to know about deducting start-up costs, along with a real-life example of how the Tax Court applied the rules. 

Internal Revenue Code Section 162 allows current deductions for “ordinary and necessary” business expenses. Section 162 expenses are basically routine expenses incurred in operating an up-and-running business. Examples include employee wages, rent, utilities and advertising. Section 162 expenses can generally be deducted in the year when they’re paid or incurred. 

Many taxpayers are unaware that Section 162-type expenses incurred by a start-up can’t necessarily be deducted right away. That’s because these expenses are classified as Section 195 start-up expenses until the “active conduct” of business begins. 

Once a taxpayer meets the active-conduct standard, Section 162-type expenses become Section 162 expenses, and the taxpayer can deduct them currently. (This assumes that other provisions — such as the passive activity loss or at-risk basis rules — don’t come into play and prevent current deductibility.)

kckobbins

What date would I used for date incurred?
kckobbins

I am entering startup costs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies