Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold one property with a 1031 exhange and bought 2 properties. Where do I put the second property?

I sold one property. 

I used the proceeds to buy two properties.

Do I use two different 8824 forms for the 1031?

If I do, then how do I split the sale of the original aquired and sold property between the two forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold one property with a 1031 exhange and bought 2 properties. Where do I put the second property?

For anyone coming here to learn and not get drama from half-witted people pretending to help (thank you to everyone on this forum that is actually helpful though!), here is the answer 

Each sale property needs its own 1031 form in turbo tax.  

You can then put multiple purchased properties into the same form.

You then apportion all the numbers appopriately based on the purchase price of both freshly inherited 1031 properties.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Apportion the basis for your properties and only 1 8824 is needed. Maybe get a tax pro.

The TT program doesn't handle this issue well ... you will need to know what you are doing and make some entries in the FORMS mode.  So I highly recommend you seek local professional assistance with a situation like this.  Tax  professionals can efile 2021 returns  until  11/26 when the IRS shuts down the efile system for the change to the 2022 tax filings. 

I am here to learn not to hire a tax person.  

M-MTax
Level 10

No choice since you don't know the very basics of how to report this transaction. No way you'll get it right. 

For anyone coming here to learn and not get drama from half-witted people pretending to help (thank you to everyone on this forum that is actually helpful though!), here is the answer 

Each sale property needs its own 1031 form in turbo tax.  

You can then put multiple purchased properties into the same form.

You then apportion all the numbers appopriately based on the purchase price of both freshly inherited 1031 properties.  

So I know the depreciated basis of the property given up and what additional cash we had to put in to consummate the purchase of the replacement properties. These two amounts form the basis for the (multiple) replacement properties. I have allocated this basis proportionately to the replacement properties based on their purchase price and have elected to restart the 27.5 year depreciation clock using this basis. I have set up each of the replacement properties in TurboTax, but haven't gotten to the 20 questions related to purchase price and costs. How do I go in and force the basis the match that of what I am carrying in my spread sheet? It is also interesting that while TurboTax has been calculating the depreciation of the property we disposed of for years and thus knows it's depreciated basis, it's unable to find this information when it comes to handling the 1031 exchange.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies