turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dewild25

I sold house I lived in for 2 years and rented for 9. Am I exempt from capitol gains because of Sec121? What would my tax rate be on the depreciation recapture?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold house I lived in for 2 years and rented for 9. Am I exempt from capitol gains because of Sec121? What would my tax rate be on the depreciation recapture?

No.  If you lived in the house originally, and you've rented it for the past nine years, you are not eligible for for the $250,000/$500,000 exclusion from capital gains, because the house was not your residence for two of the past five years.  And if the years are reversed, and you have lived in the house the past two years, the first nine years are considered 'non-qualifying use' and also not eligible for the gains exclusion.  See:

https://www.kitces.com/blog/limits-to-converting-rental-property-into-a-primary-residence-to-plan-fo...

On depreciation recapture, the tax rate would be the smaller of your marginal tax rate and 25%.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No.  If you lived in the house originally, and you've rented it for the past nine years, you are not eligible for for the $250,000/$500,000 exclusion from capital gains, because the house was not your residence for two of the past five years.  And if the years are reversed, and you have lived in the house the past two years, the first nine years are considered 'non-qualifying use' and also not eligible for the gains exclusion.  See:

https://www.kitces.com/blog/limits-to-converting-rental-property-into-a-primary-residence-to-plan-fo...

On depreciation recapture, the tax rate would be the smaller of your marginal tax rate and 25%.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies