Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rent a house and pay the rent of $2,200 a month myself but I also have two roommates that help but they pay $600 each to me and I make the total payment myself.

I rent a house and pay the rent of $2,200 a month myself but I also have two roommates that help but they pay $600 each to me and I make the total payment myself. My roommates are not on the lease because I am on the lease and as the personal guarantee.

I'm not sure whether or not I am supposed to even report this as rental income and how would I do so? The others also pay 1/3 of the utilities to me and I make the full payment. Do I even need to do a Sch E in turbotax? Can I claim a loss on this property even though I don't own because I also rent this house?

In total I receive about $1550 a month from them and I pay about $1050 a month myself. The bills total out to just around $2600 a month.

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I rent a house and pay the rent of $2,200 a month myself but I also have two roommates that help but they pay $600 each to me and I make the total payment myself.

No, this is not rental income. First, while you are not required to own the property to declare rental income, it is the most likely scenario. You are renting and getting help from roommates.

Cost Sharing

You may have questions about whether or not you should claim rental income received from relatives or friends that live with you, and whether or not you can also claim rental expenses. This depends on the type of rental agreement you have with the tenant. Think of cost sharing as charging your relative/tenant a small amount per month to help with groceries, utilities, or general household upkeep. The amount charged would be far less than market value for the rental on the open market. In cases like this, you would not report the income from the cost sharing, but you also would not be allowed to claim any rental expenses.

In Cost-Sharing arrangements, the Property owner cannot claim a Rental Loss. If you lose money because you are renting a property to a relative for a lower rate than you would rent it to other tenants, you cannot claim a rental loss. When your rental expenses are consistently more than your rental income, you may not be allowed to claim a rental loss because your rental operation is not considered to be a source of income. 

However, you can claim a rental loss if you are renting the property to a relative for the same rate as you would charge other tenants and you reasonably expect to make a profit. In cost-sharing situations like this, the tenant will not be able to claim any tax benefit from Rent paid, or any of the Rental tax breaks provided, such as a portion of the Ontario Trillium Benefit.

If you charge a tenant fair market value for the rental, and expect to make some form of profit, you should report all rental income received, and you claim rental expenses consistent with the nature of the rental arrangement.

OK! Thank you! So, I use about 300 sqft of the space for business can I deduct the full expenses I pay myself or only the portion that I pay for cost sharing for the use of business in the property?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can't deduct any expenses for yourself. You, yourself are renting the property. If you are intent upon the rental aspect, divide the property by square footage and only deduct expenses for the portion that is pure rental. No shared spaces like the living room or kitchen count. You have to include the income on Schedule E. Indicate that you rent out part of your home.

So if I to do a schedule e then what income do I report on the Sch E? The total I receive from the roomates potions? And what do I report as expenses? The full amount we all pay jointly for everything? I am not sure I explained myself properly. I have an actual business unrelated to the rental aspect, I make and sell paintings and use the garage 100% for business. I already attached a sch c for this part of my business.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Enter what they pay you. If you rent 60% of the space (apart from the garage which is included on your Sched C) then take 60% of utilites and any other expenses you might have. Since you don't own, the owner will be entitled to most of the expenses such as insurance, property taxes and depreciation.

Basically, I have to report Sch E rental income now because I'm taking the business use of home deduction for my main business? I'm sorry but this Is all very confusing and i'm just trying to do it all right. I believe because it was cost sharing I did not need report it.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Think of them as two different entities. The garage where you have your business is one. You take BUOH for that. Where you live, in the house is another. You are not required to file a Schedule E for your "rent" since it is closer to a cost sharing situation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies