Solved: I put a new roof on my rental house 12/15/18 to sell my rental. Sold it on 1/16/19. What year should I write it off? Can I write off whole price of roof or depreciate

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I put a new roof on my rental house 12/15/18 to sell my rental. Sold it on 1/16/19. What year should I write it off? Can I write off whole price of roof or depreciate

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 12
Level 12

I put a new roof on my rental house 12/15/18 to sell my rental. Sold it on 1/16/19. What year should I write it off? Can I write off whole price of roof or depreciate

For 15 days worth of depreciation ( in 2018--- mid-month ) it may be easier to include this as part of the sales preparation expenses  and therefore  changing your basis on the asset.  you still would have to file a schedule-E for the rental income/expenses for 2018 and then when you file 2019 do the  "sale of  business asset" -- form 4797  --TurboTax will walk you through that next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 12
Level 12

For 15 days worth of depreciation ( in 2018--- mid-month ) it may be easier to include this as part of the sales preparation expenses  and therefore  changing your basis on the asset.  you still would have to file a schedule-E for the rental income/expenses for 2018 and then when you file 2019 do the  "sale of  business asset" -- form 4797  --TurboTax will walk you through that next year.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings