Solved: I put a new roof on my rental house 12/15/18 to sell my rental. Sold it on 1/16/19. What year should I write it off? Can I write off whole price of roof or depreciate

I put a new roof on my rental house 12/15/18 to sell my rental. Sold it on 1/16/19. What year should I write it off? Can I write off whole price of roof or depreciate

For 15 days worth of depreciation ( in 2018--- mid-month ) it may be easier to include this as part of the sales preparation expenses  and therefore  changing your basis on the asset.  you still would have to file a schedule-E for the rental income/expenses for 2018 and then when you file 2019 do the  "sale of  business asset" -- form 4797  --TurboTax will walk you through that next year.