turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryscheng

I paid commission to real estate agent company to find a tenant for our rental property, do I need to file 1099 MISC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid commission to real estate agent company to find a tenant for our rental property, do I need to file 1099 MISC?

No.  Unless you are in a trade or business of Rental Real Estate, then you are not required to issue a 1099.  It is the position of the IRS that landlords only need to file 1099s when their rental activities become a trade or business.  Most owners of rental properties who are not engaged in other real estate businesses, do not need to file 1099s.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No.  Unless you are in a trade or business of Rental Real Estate, then you are not required to issue a 1099.  It is the position of the IRS that landlords only need to file 1099s when their rental activities become a trade or business.  Most owners of rental properties who are not engaged in other real estate businesses, do not need to file 1099s.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies