Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid a plumbing Co $1313.00 to replace a water heater in my rental property, does that require a form 1099-MISC?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I paid a plumbing Co $1313.00 to replace a water heater in my rental property, does that require a form 1099-MISC?

Only if the plumbing company is not a corporation. If its not obvious (i.e. You don't see Inc. in the name), give the company a W9.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

In general, at the time when you pay or contract to pay, you should always present W9 forms to contractors. If they are incorporated, the company attests to this on the W9.

A sole proprietor, LLC, "Joe", etc. all get 1099MISCs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Only if the plumbing company is not a corporation. If its not obvious (i.e. You don't see Inc. in the name), give the company a W9.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

In general, at the time when you pay or contract to pay, you should always present W9 forms to contractors. If they are incorporated, the company attests to this on the W9.

A sole proprietor, LLC, "Joe", etc. all get 1099MISCs.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

An LLC that elects to be taxed as a corp doesn't get a 1099MISC, but they must attest to this on the W9 and sign it.
James3020

I purchased it through The Home Depot, but he company that did the work had to comply with CA, regulation where a permit was obtain and an inspection afterwards. Cost 2,041.00.

Permit #0336562

Thanks,

James 3020

James3020

How do I obtain this W9?

James3020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies