Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made major renovations to a rental house that I own. I used an architect and a project manager. How do I account for their fees? under expenses or asset/depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I made major renovations to a rental house that I own. I used an architect and a project manager. How do I account for their fees? under expenses or asset/depreciation?

You would depreciate it, most likely in the category of Land Improvements.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You would depreciate it, most likely in the category of Land Improvements.

view2

If you construct, create, or otherwise produce property, you must capitalize the costs as your basis.
Constructing assets.   If you build property or have assets built for you, your expenses for this construction are part of your basis. Some of these expenses include the following costs.

Land.

Labor and materials.

Architect's fees.

Building permit charges.

Payments to contractors.

Payments for rental equipment.

Inspection fees

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p551/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000256908">https://www.irs.gov/pu...>

The total job renovation is entered as one asset on date placed in service and depreciated 27.5 years same as original property. [land is not depreciated]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies