Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patrick5

I'm going to build an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) on my rental property. It will be a detached separated unit. How do I deduct the costs of construction?

I am already renting the main house, and will be renting the new unit long-term. In the year I'm building the new unit, how do I deduct the constrution costs? Do I list them as improvement to the property as a whole and then depriciate them?  And would the entire unit be considered as one improvement?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

I'm going to build an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) on my rental property. It will be a detached separated unit. How do I deduct the costs of construction?

Constructing assets.   If you build property or have assets built for you, your expenses for this construction are part of your basis. Some of these expenses include the following costs.

Land, [ land is separate ,land is not depreciated must allocate some cost to land]

Labor and materials,

Architect's fees,

Building permit charges,

Payments to contractors,

Payments for rental equipment, and

Inspection fees.

perating and maintenance costs for equipment used in the construction; and

The cost of business supplies and materials used in the construction.

Do not include the value of your own labor, or any other labor you did not pay for, in the basis of any property you construct. 

For most types of investment property, the interest paid while improving, building, or constructing the real property falls under the Uniform Capitalization Rules, IRS code section 263A which requires that the interest incurred during construction or improvement should be capitalized instead of currently deducted.

To be placed in service, a unit is not required to be leased or occupied. Rather, receipt of a certificate of occupancy or other release issued by the local jurisdiction is generally accepted as the placed-in-service date. 

View solution in original post

24 Replies
view2

Constructing assets.   If you build property or have assets built for you, your expenses for this construction are part of your basis. Some of these expenses include the following costs.

Land, [ land is separate ,land is not depreciated must allocate some cost to land]

Labor and materials,

Architect's fees,

Building permit charges,

Payments to contractors,

Payments for rental equipment, and

Inspection fees.

perating and maintenance costs for equipment used in the construction; and

The cost of business supplies and materials used in the construction.

Do not include the value of your own labor, or any other labor you did not pay for, in the basis of any property you construct. 

For most types of investment property, the interest paid while improving, building, or constructing the real property falls under the Uniform Capitalization Rules, IRS code section 263A which requires that the interest incurred during construction or improvement should be capitalized instead of currently deducted.

To be placed in service, a unit is not required to be leased or occupied. Rather, receipt of a certificate of occupancy or other release issued by the local jurisdiction is generally accepted as the placed-in-service date. 
Dtee
Level 2

Hi,

would this logic be the same if I’m building an ADU (detached) to my primary house that I’m living in right now? 

Im also in the process of building an ADU but it will not be completed until April of 2020. Can I deduct the construction cost and everything that the OP mentioned when I filed my 2019 tax return?

Carl
Level 15

would this logic be the same if I’m building an ADU (detached) to my primary house that I’m living in right now?

Yes. But understand this is not "logic". It's the law.  The construction adds to the cost basis of the property. What you're doing is more accurately termed a "property improvement". Property improvements are never deductible per-se. They add to the cost basis of the property. If the property or any part of the property will have any type of business use (which is what rental property is) then the property or portion of the property used for said business is capitalized and depreciated over time.  Below are some definitions that will help clarify things for you.

RENTAL PROPERTY ASSETS, MAINTENANCE/CLEANING/REPAIRS DEFINED

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that add value to the property. Expenses for this are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria must be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must add "real" value to the property. In other words, when  the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

Cleaning & Maintenance

Those expenses incurred to maintain the rental property and it's assets in the useable condition the property and/or asset was designed and intended for. Routine cleaning and maintenance expenses are only deductible if they are incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Cleaning and maintenance expenses incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent are not deductible.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or it's assets to the same useable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent are not deductible.

Additional clarifications: Painting a room does not qualify as a property improvement. While the paint does become “a material part of” the property, from the perspective of a property appraiser, it doesn’t add “real value” to the property.

However, when you do something like convert the garage into a 3rd bedroom for example, making a  2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom house adds “real value”. Of course, when you convert the garage to a bedroom, you’re going to paint it. But you will include the cost of painting as a part of the property improvement – not an expense separate from it.

Dtee
Level 2

Thank you for the reply Carl.

i just have one quick follow up question. So once the ADU is ready to be rented or a tenant rents it out, can I depreciate the ADU? If my ADU total cost is $150k and my current land value is $450k (not including my primary house building), what’s the depreciation amount I should enter? Thank you in advance for your help

Carl
Level 15

I've included some additional clarifications for you at the end of my post here.

So once the ADU is ready to be rented or a tenant rents it out, can I depreciate the ADU?

Yes. But understand when depreciation starts. The depreciation starts on the first day the property is "available for rent". Not the first day the renter moves in. So basically, it starts when you place that "for rent" sign in the front yard. Doesn't matter if it takes you three months to actually get a renter in it. So long as "YOU" don't utilize the property for personal use, depreciation starts when it's available for rent.

There's two basic dates you'll deal with on this. First, is the date of acquisition (or completion of construction in your case). This is referred to as the purchase date or acquisition date. The 2nd date is the "in service" date, which is the first day the property is available for rent.

what’s the depreciation amount I should enter?

The information provided here is specific to your case, and your situation *only*. It may not apply to anyone else that may be reading this thread.

As I understand it, we're talking about a physically separate structure that may or may not be attached to your primary residence. What you will need to do is a bit of allocation. If what you will be renting out is what you paid 150K for and you will not be renting out any more or less than that, then your structure value will be 150K. Then you will need to allocate a percentage of your land value too. Here's a sample example.

I purchased my home in 2003 for $100,000. I have never rented it out. At the time of purchase/acquisition the structure value was $70K and the land value was $30K. In 2019 I added on to my house another living structure that was composed of a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. This addition cost me $50K.

Prior to the addition the total square footage of my structure was 2500 sq ft. After the addition the total square footage of my structure is 3500 sq feet. That means the new addition of 1000 sq feet is 1/3 or 33% of my total square footage. Therefore I will allocate the total cost of $50K I paid for the addition to be rented out to the "structure" portion. Then I will allocate 33% of my land value to the "land" portion. 33% of the land value is $10K. So on my rental when entering it into the TurboTax program in the "COST" box I will enter $60K and in the "COST OF LAND" box I will enter $10K.

Got it? If not I'll try my best to explain it better. This will be tricky for you because you are renting out "A part of" your primary residence and it will be very, very easy to get confused without even realizing you're confused. Especially when you get to the allocation of property taxes, mortgage interest and the such.

If you have a separate mortgage that is for the addition only, and if you get a separate 1098 - Mortgage Interest Statement for that loan, then it's all deductible. But the property taxes will be a different story since those will have to be split between the SCH E for the rental portion and SCH A for the primary residence portion. The split is based on percentage of property that is actually allocated to the rental (including the percentage of land). That means some manual math on your part, as the TTX program can only do so much.

I've been doing "the rental property thing" for going on 30 years now and have learned a lot of lessons the hard (and c ostly) way. It's my hope to help others such as yourself avoid the pitfalls that at times almost consumed me. Now here's that additional information I promised.

Rental Property Dates & Numbers That Matter.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence before, then this date is the day AFTER  you moved out.
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter "could" have moved in. That should be your "in service" date if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters count also PROVIDED you did not live in the house for one single day during said period of vacancy.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence or 2nd home, after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

Dtee
Level 2

This has been super helpful @Carl ! I totally understand what you’re saying.

In essence, the structure cost will be the cost of my ADU. Your “cost” is $50k(?). I think you said $60k in your previous post but I think you meant $50k?

For the land, since your ADU added additional 1000 sq ft to your house, it’s 33% of your total sq ft, therefore, it’s $10k from your original $30k. So your “Cost of land” is $30k.

im assuming when you entered this ADU as a rental, it’s a single family unit and not a multi family. 

Carl
Level 15

Your “cost” is $50k(?). I think you said $60k in your previous post but I think you meant $50k?

No. I specifically meant sixty thousand dollars in my example. What goes in the "COST" box includes the value of the structure *AND* the land. So in my example that's $60K, not $50K.

Then in the "COST OF LAND" box it's $10K. The program will "do the math" in the background and assign $50K to the structure and that $50K is what gets depreciated over the next 27.5 years. Remember, land is *never* depreciable.

So your “Cost of land” is $30k.

Again, no. You are not allocating 100% of the land to the rental. Only 33%. Therefore the cost of land in my example would be $10K.

Now that's just "my" way of doing this. There is another way to do this and I suspect you are confusing yourself with that "other way". Could this be the case? If so, would you like me to cover that "other way" also, in the chance that may be the way you're thinking? (Both ways are legal, but may not result in the same "bottom line number" for depreciation as the end result

Dtee
Level 2

@Carl ,

Sorry I'm a bit slow when it comes to this, but I had to read your post a couple of times to understand the "COST" and "COST OF LAND" that you wrote in your thread.

If you don't mind sharing the other way to calculate this, I'm interested in learning it. The more I learn about this, the more helpful it becomes when tax time comes. I think I'll go ahead and plug in some numbers to see how it works out. Thank you in advance for all your help @Carl !

Carl
Level 15

For the other way, lets consider some realistic numbers based on a longer timeframe.

I purchased my house in 1990 at a cost of $35,000. The house occupies 1,500 sq feet and sits on a lot that is plenty big enough for me to add on to. Let's say 1/3 of an acre. Now of that $35K I paid for the house $28K is what I paid for the structure and $7K for the land. The structure is 3 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen, dining room and living room. My "cost basis" on the property is $35K at this point.

Now in 2015 I add on another 1,000 sq ft consisting of a kitchenette, bedroom, bath and a laundry room. The addition cost me $50,000. Now by total square footage of my structure is 2,500 sq feet and my total cost basis in the property is $85K with $78K paid for the structure and $7K for the land. (I didn't pay squat for more land... I only paid for more structure.)

If I'm going to rent out what I added on then I figure what percentage of what is basically my primary residence floor space I am going to use for this rental business. I'm renting out 1000 sq feet of my total 2500 sq feet of my structure. 1000/2500=0.4 or 40% of my floorspace.

So in the rental & royalty section of the program I will indicate that "I rent out a part of my primary residence". Then when I get to that point I will enter $85,000 in the "COST" box and $7,000 in the "COST OF LAND" box. I will also indicate the entire property is 40% business use. THe program will do the additional math "for me" in the background and not bother me with the details. Basically, here's how it will work out.

Since land is never depreciable, it doesn't figure into the equation really - even though the program will assign 40% of the $7,000 land value to the rental portion. That comes to $2,800 and the only place you'll see that will be in the IRS Form 4562 that prints in landscape format. (There are two of these forms - one titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" and the other is titled "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation Report")

Then 40% of the structure value will be $78,000 X 0.4 = $31,200 and that is the amount that will be depreciated over the next 27.5 years.

Now whichever way you do this really doesn't matter. But just remember that in the end, what you save in taxes now, you will pay back later, and the payback later will be more than what you may save now.

When you sell the property down the road, all prior depreciation must be recaptured in the year of sale, and you pay taxes on that recaptured depreciation. Now while chances are good that your carry over losses will negate a large portion of that, it all depends on your sale price (thus your taxable gain on the sale). But regardless, the recaptured depreciation *will* increase your AGI for that year and when combined with the taxable gain will most likely put you in a higher tax bracket.

So you can save now, pay later if you like. Or you can save less now and potentially pay less later.

Carl
Level 15

Oh, one other thing too. It's not like you learn this stuff through osmosis. I certainly didn't. So please don't hesitate to ask more questions. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, or forgot to ask. I learned over 90% of what I know dealing with rental property, in the school of hard knocks. So if possible I like to help others learn in the school of experience. You know that school... been there... done that... got the T-Shirt!

You will only enter the new construction asset in the program and ignore the land value since it is not depreciated anyway ... this will make the entry easier by putting in a zero for the land value ... 100% of the land value should remain with the personal residence.

Hi Carl,

Can you please run through how you would allocate property taxes and mortgage interest on an rental ADU that is located on the same property as your primary residence?  Thank you. 

Carl
Level 15

@Wtajason for the benefit of others reading this thread, take note that your post is what we call an "add-on". In other words, the details provided in this thread by the original poster may not be "your" details. So I'm not willing to risk making incorrect assumptions which will result in the waste of time for both of us. I ask that you please start a new thread of your own explaining your specific situation. Here's some details you "must" provide to save time as well as reduce the possibility of the reader making incorrect assumptions.

-  Does each unit have a physically separate mailing address? (if an address such as 201A for your residence, and 201B for the rental, then that's a physically separate mailing address.)

- Are utilities (electric, water, etc.) metered separately?

- Do you have one single mortgage for all structures on the land? If more than one mortgage, then what does each mortgage cover? (I would expect only one to include the price of the land - but expectations can be wrong too.)

- How is property taxes handled? One property tax bill each year for the land and all structures on it? Or are property taxes billed separately for each structure?

- What about the property insurance? This is a biggie. Homeowner's insurance does "NOT" cover rental property or any other type of business property. If you have two structures on the land with one of them as your primary residence, then thats covered by homeowner's insurance. If the other structure is a rental, then that has to be covered by what is referred to as a "Rental Dwelling Policy". If you file a claim against your homeowner's policy for something on the rental property, then the insurance company can (and will) deny your claim because the property was not being used for it's insured purpose. This can cause your problems to balloon even bigger when the mortgage holder finds out. So the homeowner's policy covers only your primary residence, and you need a physically separate policy for the rental unit.

Generally, the rental dwelling property will come with an absolute minimum of $300K of liability insurance and will cover only that which you own (namely, the structure, appliances, etc.) It does NOT cover what a tenant owns that may be lost in a fire or other disaster. That's why I state this fact in my rental contracts and advise the renter to purchase their own "renters policy" to insure their property. This way the renter can't come after me if they lose their property in a disaster that covers *me* in my own rental policy.

Hi,

Question about your homeowner’s insurance statements.  My insurance company told me that my policy does in fact cover the new, detached, ADU we built on our property.  Is that something that varies by company then?  Your statement sounds certain the rental property would not be covered.  Are there specific additional questions I should be asking / terminology I should be using if I go back to my insurance company to verify what they told me?  I had assumed before speaking with them that I needed a separate policy of some sort but they said no, because of some part of the policy which I’m forgetting the name of, possibly “other structures coverage”?  Thoughts?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies