Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live and work outside of the US. How can I file my taxes accordingly? I have stock in the US granted from my company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I live and work outside of the US. How can I file my taxes accordingly? I have stock in the US granted from my company.

It depends.  If you are a US citizen living and working abroad you will file a form 1040 just as normal using your form 1099-B showing the sale of stocks from your brokerage to report any taxable gains on those sales.  You might also get a form 1099-Div.  These are entered in TurboTax in the Wages & Income section using the Investments topic list. 

If you are non-resident alien you would file a form 1040-NR.  TurboTax does not support this form but we recommend contacting our partners at Sprintax for assistance with that filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am a green card holder (resident) and have an SSN - however, this year my company did not issue any W2 forms since there was no stock vesting throughout the year.  However, I did obtain some 1099 forms from my stock broker since I performed stock sales during the year.

Am I able to file under any categories in Turbo Tax for this situation? I am very familiar with the interface since it was my go to tax software during my time in the US.

Thanks again for your advice!

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Great!  You should be able to sign in to your account and get started.  TurboTax will guide you to the right product based on your entries along the way.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies