Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vstucker

I inherited mineral rights from my father 9/04; value approx. $150,000. I paid yrly taxes on the royalties. I sold the rights 11/19 for $100,000. Any tax consequences?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I inherited mineral rights from my father 9/04; value approx. $150,000. I paid yrly taxes on the royalties. I sold the rights 11/19 for $100,000. Any tax consequences?

did you take depletion?

Carl
Level 15

Tax consequences? Did you do something wrong? Or do you really mean tax liability? It don't really matter here, as you need to report the sale. You very well may have a gain on the sale to, once depletion is taken into account. The only possible way to know if you'll pay taxes, is to work the sale through the program. you'll report the sale in the rentals & royalties section of the program by indicating that you sold or otherwise disposed of it. Then you *MUST* work through everything listed in the assets section, one at a time if more than one item is listed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies