Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marisongw

I inherited a stock in 2007. I sold it in 2016 and rolled proceeds into a different stock. Are the proceeds from the sale taxable?

The proceeds totaled $24,542.41. I reinvested all but $3000. Do I have to pay tax on the $24,542.41 or the $3000? If just the $3000, do I claim a cost basis of $21, 542.41?  Thanks much.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I inherited a stock in 2007. I sold it in 2016 and rolled proceeds into a different stock. Are the proceeds from the sale taxable?

There is no "roll over" option in play here.  If you sold securities and have a gain that's a taxable even irrespective on what you did with the proceeds.

As far as your cost basis question goes, your cost basis of stock you sold is the value of the stock on the date of death, (sometimes a different date, 6 months after the date of death is used instead, but the executor of the estate should have informed you if that was the case), and that's your basis for reporting gain or loss on your sales.  You don't get taxed on the proceeds of a sale, only the gain.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is no "roll over" option in play here.  If you sold securities and have a gain that's a taxable even irrespective on what you did with the proceeds.

As far as your cost basis question goes, your cost basis of stock you sold is the value of the stock on the date of death, (sometimes a different date, 6 months after the date of death is used instead, but the executor of the estate should have informed you if that was the case), and that's your basis for reporting gain or loss on your sales.  You don't get taxed on the proceeds of a sale, only the gain.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies