Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have reported the Rental Property Depreciation for my rental properties in previous Tax Returns. Where/How do I get that information imported/transferred into TT?

For a few of my rental properties, I have entered the Depreciation info in previous tax returns.  I shouldn't have to re-calculate everything since the same info should transfer over.  Where is this entered in TT, and where is it found in previous tax returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I have reported the Rental Property Depreciation for my rental properties in previous Tax Returns. Where/How do I get that information imported/transferred into TT?

No, you do not have to recalculate anything.  However if not all of your assets transferred from 2019 to 2020 you need to enter them.  The basis for depreciation would be the same as it was for 2019.  By using the 2019 return to enter the information for the asset (including each capital improvement) the prior depreciation will automatically calculate.

If there were several assets and you would like to see if they will transfer or import into 2020 you can follow the steps below. Keep in mind you may have to clear and start over.

This links below may provide some helpful tips to correct the problem.   Here are two articles for assistance.

If you prefer not to start over, then you would have to add the assets manually in the rental activity to accurately calculate the sale. With the 2019 return open or the depreciation worksheet printed you would have the information you need. Enter them exactly as they appear.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies