turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skip112

I have rental property and don’t take income. I hold in the property account to plan for future repairs and upgrades. how do I claim this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have rental property and don’t take income. I hold in the property account to plan for future repairs and upgrades. how do I claim this?

If the rental property is not available to rent then you do not report the rental property on your tax return.

Skip112

Thank you for your reply,

It is rented all year long and there has not been much of a “profit” until recently. So I keep all that in a separate account for that property for future maintenance, upgrades and emergencies, is that considered income to be declared?

@Skip112 wrote:

Thank you for your reply,

It is rented all year long and there has not been much of a “profit” until recently. So I keep all that in a separate account for that property for future maintenance, upgrades and emergencies, is that considered income to be declared?

If the property was available for rent in 2023 and you received rental income, all the rental income you received is required to be reported on Schedule E along with all your rental expenses for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies