Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have expenses to show for the "General Labor" income I have listed. I don't see a way to list them with out upgrading Turbo Tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have expenses to show for the "General Labor" income I have listed. I don't see a way to list them with out upgrading Turbo Tax.

Bingo ... if you have expenses to list against SE income then you must upgrade to the SE program starting this year ... OR switch to any of the downloaded versions ... OR  switch to the FREEDOM program if you are eligible.

To  continue in the desktop version see this…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw... 

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition. The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. It will prepare a Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications.

• AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2016 family AGI of $64,000 or less
  • or eligible for EIC (Earned Income Credit.)

The FREEDOM Edition will be located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Freedom Edition (may require new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

I don't understand... i received a 1099 for under $6500 and it was a side job that i did as an individual not as any type of business???

I did not have any office expenses or over head. Just material costs that need to come out of the $6500.

Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income.

You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.

The IRS also considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies