turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'd like to see if claiming a 2K stock loss makes sense, as I've never done it. I can't access Schedule D or Form 8949 in the TurbTax Free Edition. Do I need to upgrade?

This would be an amended return as I've already filed. It would be the first time I have a realized short term captial loss. I've read that I can carry it over into next year - perhaps that would make more sense than upgrading TurboTax and amending this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I'd like to see if claiming a 2K stock loss makes sense, as I've never done it. I can't access Schedule D or Form 8949 in the TurbTax Free Edition. Do I need to upgrade?

You would have to upgrade to access Form 8949.  If you don't have any taxable income, the loss will just reduce your non-taxable income - it won't carry forward.  If you had a $5,000 loss, $3,000 would be applied to current year income and the remaining balance would carry forward.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I do not see the option to upgrade while logged into Turbotax Online. Most of the left menu options are gone, as I have already submitted my return. How do I upgrade solely to amend an existing return?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

If you need to upgrade to TurboTax Premier to file the amended return, TurboTax should prompt you when you opt to add the investment information. To begin the amend process, log into TurboTax and scroll down to Your Tax returns & documents. Select Amend (change) return and then Amend using TurboTax Online. 

If you had a capital loss this year but no taxable income, then the capital loss carries forward to the next year that you have income that can be offset by the loss. However, to take advantage of this capital loss carryforward in 2022, the original loss must still be reported in 2021 if you sold the stock in 2021. You can't delay reporting it until 2022. Instead, you should amend your 2021 return to include this loss. If you don't have taxable income in 2021, you can then use the carryforward in 2022.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies