turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paldo25

I added Mortage interest in the rental property section (wages section) and under the mortgage section of the deductions section. Thus entered twice yet same house? Fix

Just trying to figure out best place to add the mortgage interest as again seems as I entered it twice (once under rental and once under deductions).  Again same home being used as a rental property.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

I added Mortage interest in the rental property section (wages section) and under the mortgage section of the deductions section. Thus entered twice yet same house? Fix

If this property is only used as a rental, then the mortgage interest should only be added in the rental property section and the amount should be removed from the mortgage section. the mortgage section that you are referring to is for itemized deductions. Itemized deductions is where you would report the mortgage interest on the home that you live in. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AndreaG

If this property is only used as a rental, then the mortgage interest should only be added in the rental property section and the amount should be removed from the mortgage section. the mortgage section that you are referring to is for itemized deductions. Itemized deductions is where you would report the mortgage interest on the home that you live in. 

decaman

What if the house was personal residence in tax year, but converted to rental later the same year. Should I prorate interest on both Scheds. A and E?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies