turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ctrcrtv

Rental property repairs or improvements? Replace failed water heater & rebuild rotted exterior stairs.

We had some issues at our rental property in 2017 that required repair, and I'm not certain if they fall under improvements or repairs.

First, the water heater failed and began leaking.  I replaced it with an equivalent model, which I think was actually less expensive / lower range than the one that broke (not an upgrade).  Total cost was about $1,000.

Second, a portion of an exterior wooden staircase rotted out to the point where the top half needed complete replacement.  They were hazardous and no longer usable, and a "patch" repair was not feasible.  The replacement section is identical in design, construction and material to the original.  Total cost was about $2300.

From what I can tell, in both instances, these should be reported as repairs because I was returning the property to proper working order after damages occurred -- e.g. not adding or upgrading anything, just fixing things that broke.

Can someone confirm how I should report these expenses? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Rental property repairs or improvements? Replace failed water heater & rebuild rotted exterior stairs.

How to treat your rental property expenses can be a little confusing sometimes. IRS publication 527 provides strict guideline about how rental property expenses are treated on your tax return. Please follow this link IRS Pub 527 

In review of your questions, the new water heater and exterior staircase is considered capital improvement of the property and prolong its life and adapt it to new uses must be depreciated over a period of time rather than deducted as a current-year expense.

Attached is a screen print file from IRS Examples of Improvement for your review.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies