Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to keep carryover loss for rental properties that have changed owners?

I have a few rental properties that have carryover loss from previous years. From this year, I am not going to report these rental properties on my Schedule E because of the ownership change. I would like to know if there's a way to keep the carryover loss from these rental properties after I delete the individual Schedule E.  Also, if I start to report them again in a few years, is there a way to add back the carryover loss from the previous years? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to get some professional advice here.

There are a number of issues in regards to your transaction:

• Did you consult with an attorney and properly transfer title?
  • You most likely have a gift tax return to file
  • If you have suspended passive activity losses, those losses will get added to the basis of the property.
  • You can't just flip flop between who is going to be reporting the activity.  There needs to be an actual legal transfer.
  • Consult a professional ASAP before you have tax consequences that are unfavorable to you.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

What do you mean "ownership change "?  Did you sell them ?  Gift them ?  Transfer to a grantor trust ? 

Gift them 

You need to get some professional advice here.

There are a number of issues in regards to your transaction:

• Did you consult with an attorney and properly transfer title?
  • You most likely have a gift tax return to file
  • If you have suspended passive activity losses, those losses will get added to the basis of the property.
  • You can't just flip flop between who is going to be reporting the activity.  There needs to be an actual legal transfer.
  • Consult a professional ASAP before you have tax consequences that are unfavorable to you.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thank you!

Here's the situation. I co-own the properties with another owner. We used to report 50% each on Schedule E.  From this year on, I will not report but he will take 100% of the reporting. Only for reporting tax purpose. Do we need any process? How can I add the carryover loss to the cost basis of the property?

so we can possibly give better advice, we need to know the method by which ownership changed.  change one way and your carryover losses would permanently be lost. change a different way and they are recognized in the year of change.  consultation with a lawyer is certainly advisable so you can accomplish your goal and hopefully minimize adverse tax consequences. 

Seek local professional assistance for this issue especially if you never set up a partnership return.  If you are not getting out of the ownership completely by gifting the property then not claiming the income/expenses/depreciation on your return may not be legal.  A tax attorney may be needed. 

Can you elaborate on  "change a different way and they are recognized in the year of change"? How to do this? 

Also, if we just change the ownership from 50/50 to 10/90, will still be an issue?

Please seek local assistance from someone you can talk to face to face  and not rely on nameless faceless users on this public forum.  You need real time help from a qualified  live person.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies