Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to handle advanced Rent given to tenant>

I am landlord and was able to get one my signed for rent-relief grant from a state agency. The agency would send the landlord all back due rent payments as well as advance 3 months of rent to be applied toward future rent.  One of the requirements for the landlord under the program was to give the tenant the remaining advanced rent payments for the remaining months if the tenant moved out of the property before the grant money was applied toward future payments. My tenant moved out and I gave them the 3 remaining months of the grant money. So I do handle this situation since I know I am going to be receiving a 1099 from the state grants office showing ALL rent monies sent to my company. Do I send a 1099 to my tenant showing the amount given to them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

how to handle advanced Rent given to tenant>

A 1099 is not required however you should report all the rent as income on the Sch E and make a misc expense entry for the rent paid out to the ex tenent.  Keep the cancelled check along with all your other excellant records in case of an IRS audit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies