How long to depriciate carpet in Rental property. i'm thinking 5 years seeing thats when I usually end up replacing. How long for appliances

dket

I am repairing after a rental disaster. 2 appliances and carpet and linoleum. painting etc. Any help on what I can deduct straight up, and what I should depreciate 

joshua70448

According to Publication 527 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf), Table 2-1 lists carpet and appliances as both having a 5-year depreciation period (9 years under the alternative system).

view2

repairing after a rental disaster.

Repairing is the key to your tax treatment.Replacing destroyed appliances, carpet and linoleum are an asset and depreciated 5 years. Most repair costs that are results of the tenant destructive actions are fully tax deductible in the year incurred.

You still have to be a bit careful there though that you do not do a betterment [new  IRS watch word].If by chance you decide to make an improvement to the building at the same time,repairs and betterments  done at the same time the whole cost would be depreciated as one improvement depreciated same as original property 27.5 years.