Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I treat a major repair of my oceanfront seawall?

This is a rental property, and the seawall work may have to  be depreciated over 27 years, but in fact, it will probably not last that long.

Or since it's a repair instead of something new, maybe not? Maybe it's just an ordinary repair? We're talking a more than $10K expense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Did you fix the wall or did you replace or make such major improvements to it that it is like new?

If you simply repaired the wall, then you would expense it as a repair.

If you replaced the wall then you would depreciate it or you could take a section 179 deduction for the wall. 

Once you decide if you repaired or drastically extended its useful life you can enter it as an expense or an asset.  As you walk through the TurboTax entries, the program will help you decide if you want to take a full deduction for it or depreciate it over its useful life. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Did you fix the wall or did you replace or make such major improvements to it that it is like new?

If you simply repaired the wall, then you would expense it as a repair.

If you replaced the wall then you would depreciate it or you could take a section 179 deduction for the wall. 

Once you decide if you repaired or drastically extended its useful life you can enter it as an expense or an asset.  As you walk through the TurboTax entries, the program will help you decide if you want to take a full deduction for it or depreciate it over its useful life. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Although the building and any components (e.g. new roof) have to be depreciated over 27.5 years, exterior improvements (e.g. road or fence) are depreciated over 15 years. 

Reference: https://learn.roofstock.com/blog/rental-property-depreciation#:~:text=The%20IRS%20allows%20you%20to,....

Carl
Level 15

If the seawall work was major and/or returned it to "like new" condition, classify it as a land improvement and it gets depreciated over 15 years. I'm not sure, but I "think" land improvements qualify for SEC179 and/or SDA if you want to accelerate the depreciation. I do know that MACRS classification "residential rental real estate" does not qualify for either accelerated depreciation method. But not sure if "land improvements" do or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies