Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lak_Mass

How do I find the math behind the depreciation of a house that I rent?

I am trying to find the basis of the depreciation amount calculated on form... i have been using turbotax since I bought and started renting a house... where is the math?  is there a worksheet I can find to understand how the depreciation is forwarded?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sure ... save a PDF of the return that includes all the worksheets to see the depreciation worksheets. 

lak_Mass

Thanks @Critter-3 

BUT oddly, this does not work. I have two properties and I see a full depreciation/amortization spreadsheet for one.. but for the other, just a number is pulled forward.  I have looked everwhere for the word "Deprecia*" (all forms) as well as the street number... all I see is a carry forward depreciation for the property, but not worksheet/explanation.

Carl
Level 15

First, you need to save the file in PDF format, and elect to save everything. Not just "forms for your records" or "forms required for filing/mailing". You need to save absolutely everything.

In the saved PDF file there will be two form 4562's *for* *each* *property*, that prints in landscape format. One is titled "Depreciation and Amortization Report" and the other is "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation". The first one is the one most commonly used, as the second one only matters when AMT comes into play; which isn't all that common for most folks.

As for "the math used", it's covered in detail in IRS Publication 946 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf

The worksheet starts at the bottom of page 37. For domestic residential rental real estate use table A-6 on page 72.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies