turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dunlapjhd

How do I find out how much I have depreciated rental property in the past?

I have owned a rental property for about 8 years.  I depreciated it the first few years,  but then I had to file as "married filing separately" for the past 5-6 years because of my wife's student loans so I couldn't claim the depreciation.  I am filing jointly for the first time in years, so I can claim the depreciation but I have no idea how much I have depreciated it in the past.  My returns were prepared by a professional since I have owned this property and I am trying to prepare my taxes for the first time this year.  Is there somewhere on my 2015 taxes I could find this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you should have worksheets in your prior year tax return paperwork that includes current and prior depreciation for your Rental Property.

• If you used software to prepare your taxes last year, look for a record of the asset or for a summary depreciation report or schedule. In TurboTax, this report is called "Depreciation and Amortization Report" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).
  • If you used a professional, review your copy for a record of the asset or for a depreciation report or schedule. If you do not see any of these, contact that preparer for a copy.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you should have worksheets in your prior year tax return paperwork that includes current and prior depreciation for your Rental Property.

• If you used software to prepare your taxes last year, look for a record of the asset or for a summary depreciation report or schedule. In TurboTax, this report is called "Depreciation and Amortization Report" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).
  • If you used a professional, review your copy for a record of the asset or for a depreciation report or schedule. If you do not see any of these, contact that preparer for a copy.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies