Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

muttlee14

How do I enter moving expenses and rental expenses when turbo tax wants to use the standard deduction?

adding these expenses will be more than the standard deduction. how do I switch it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter moving expenses and rental expenses when turbo tax wants to use the standard deduction?

Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return unless you are an active member of the military on Permanent Change of Station orders.

Your rental income and expenses are entered on Schedule E.  The income or loss from the Schedule E is entered on Schedule 1 Line 5 with the total from Schedule 1 Part I Line 10 flows to Form 1040 Line 8 as additional income or (loss).

See this TurboTax support FAQ for entering rental income and expenses - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/enter-income-ex...

You will need to upgrade to the Premium online edition to enter rental property income and expenses

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return unless you are an active member of the military on Permanent Change of Station orders.

Your rental income and expenses are entered on Schedule E.  The income or loss from the Schedule E is entered on Schedule 1 Line 5 with the total from Schedule 1 Part I Line 10 flows to Form 1040 Line 8 as additional income or (loss).

See this TurboTax support FAQ for entering rental income and expenses - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/enter-income-ex...

You will need to upgrade to the Premium online edition to enter rental property income and expenses

Carl
Level 15

Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal return unless you are military and moving under official PCS orders. Additionally, you can only deduct those "qualified" moving expenses that exceed what you are reimbursed by the military.
Rental expenses for rental property that you own are claimed/deducted on SCH E. Rental expenses you paid to rent a place to live or in conjunction with your military ordered move are not deductible on your federal return. However, lodging expenses related to your military directed move not reimbursed to you by the military are deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies