Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

halldawgz

How do I enter Form 2439 Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

The information on Form 2439 is reported on Schedule D.  It will flow to your Schedule D when it is entered into TurboTax.

To enter Form 2439 go to "Investment Income" and select "Undistributed Capital Gains" or you can search for "Form 2439" in the top right corner of your screen and select "jump to" that section.  

If your mutual fund sends you a Form 2439: Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains you increase your basis by the amount of undistributed capital gain that you include in income, and reduce your basis by the amount of tax paid by the fund on the undistributed gain (both amounts are reported to you on Form 2439). And, don’t forget to claim a tax credit on your 2022 Form 1040 for the amount of tax paid by the fund in 2022.

With TurboTax software, figuring out what taxes you owe on your investments is straightforward. We’ll ask you simple questions about your investments, you can easily import your information, and we’ll search over 400 tax deductions to make sure you get every credit and deduction you qualify for.

With TurboTax, figuring out what taxes you owe on your investments is straightforward. Here are some of the most common types of investments TurboTax can help with:

Per the instruction for Form 2439:

If you received a Form 2439 with a gain in box 1c, part or all of that gain (which is also included in box 1a) may be eligible for the section 1202 exclusion. Report the total gain (box 1a) on Schedule D, line 11. In column (a) of Form 8949, Part II, enter the name of the corporation whose stock was sold. In column (f), enter “Q,” and in column (g), enter the amount of the excluded gain as a negative number. See the instructions for Form 8949, columns (f), (g), and (h). If you are completing line 18 of Schedule D, enter as a positive number the amount of your allowable exclusion on line 2 of the 28% Rate Gain Worksheet; if you excluded 60% of the gain, enter 2/3 of the exclusion; if you excluded 75% of the gain, enter 1/3 of the exclusion; if you excluded 100% of the gain, don't enter an amount.

Since this is a very complicated topic and there are a lot of factors to consider you can click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  You can contact a Live Agent over the telephone and share your screen so they can help walk you through the process of entering your gains and obtaining your tax credits.

Click here for additional information of cost basis.

Click here for instructions on Schedule D.

Click here for information on Schedule D.

Click here for additional information on taxes paid on investments.

[Edited 01/30/23|5:41 pm PST] @halldawgz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NZtJqrmn7z7
Returning Member

A suggestion is to enter "Form 2439" in the search window. [Upper Right of the Screen.] Then click on "Jump to Form 2439".  That seems straightforward, but "Jump to Form 2439" didn't display. 

I'll ask again. How do I report Form 2439 Income into TurboTax Business 2022  (Line 1a Total undistributed long-term capital gains)? This income is about $75. There's also tax paid of about $15. (Line 2 Tax Paid by the RIC or REIT om the 1a gains). 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Business, you can actually enter simply 2439, and that'll get you to the Jump to 2439 link.

Also, you can 

1. Select Federal Taxes in the banner
  2. Select Wages & Income
  3. On the Your 2022 Income Summary screen, scroll down to Investment Income, and select Visit All
  4. Page through the screens, and eventually you'll come to a page titled Did you receive a Form 2439 for 2022?
  5. Select Yes, and enter your information on the following page

@NZtJqrmn7z7 

NZtJqrmn7z7
Returning Member

Maybe I need to clarify. I am using the CD disc of TurboTax Business 2022. I am using TurboTax Business to file a 1041 Income Tax Return for Estates. I am running Windows 11. 

I did enter "2439" in the search window (upper right corner) of TurboTax. No link to "Jump to 2439" appeared. 

I also tried your other instructions. 

1. select Federal Taxes in the banner.  OK got it.

2. Select Wages & Income. I see "Income", but not "Wages & Income". a slight difference. 

3. "... Scroll down to Investment Income" I see Investment Income, but not "Visit All". 

4. I don't see a page titled "Did you receive a Form 2439".. 

5 I can't select yes.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

My desktop version of TurboTax Business is the download version, as opposed to the CD version, so there may be variation.  At any rate, try this -- or something similar -- in your version:

1. Select FEDERAL TAXES in the banner
  2. Select  Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Investment Income
  4. Select  Start to the right of Undistributed Capital Gains
  5. Answer  Yes on the Did you receive a Form 2439 for 2022? screen

Hopefully this gets you there. 

@NZtJqrmn7z7 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies