Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I convert a partial rental of my SFR into a full rental

in 2016, I remodeled and rented out the basement as 40% of the house.  There is a  a depreciation schedule for the house and remodel costs from 2016.  in 2017, I rented one additional room upstairs and then moved out in Nov, spending $10,000 in remodel costs and rented out the entire space except garage

We moved out in Nov to remodel and had rental income for a few weeks in Dec.

How do I enter that 50% of the house was rented all year and 100% in the last 2 months?  Do I count the unoccupied time as a rental (during remodel?) or only when I had a paying renter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Your best option is to enter the remainder of the space as a new rental property. This allows you to report income and expenses separately, as well as different rental days for the separate spaces. Add as many rental properties as you need to cover the spaces that were rented separately. The rental asset (house) would be the same for both/all, but the square footage would be different (as would the depreciation).

If you decide to combine the spaces at some point and rent the entire home to one tenant, you would probably stop reporting the separate spaces and begin a new rental property. It's important to keep good records, especially the Depreciation Report from your tax return, for future reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Your best option is to enter the remainder of the space as a new rental property. This allows you to report income and expenses separately, as well as different rental days for the separate spaces. Add as many rental properties as you need to cover the spaces that were rented separately. The rental asset (house) would be the same for both/all, but the square footage would be different (as would the depreciation).

If you decide to combine the spaces at some point and rent the entire home to one tenant, you would probably stop reporting the separate spaces and begin a new rental property. It's important to keep good records, especially the Depreciation Report from your tax return, for future reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies