Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I enter the depreciation on a rent house? Turbo Tax is not showing it although I have used Turbo Tax previous years. I have already paid for but not sent forms.

I have three houses.  Two of them show depreciation but one doesn't. Bought the same time.  How can I enter this info. after having paid Turbo Tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

How can I enter the depreciation on a rent house? Turbo Tax is not showing it although I have used Turbo Tax previous years. I have already paid for but not sent forms.

Sign back into your TurboTax account.  Then go to the Wages & Income section and scroll down the screen to Rental Properties and Royalties. Select Start or Update and continue through the application until you get to the Rental and Royalty Summary screen.  On this screen you should see the two rental properties you have already entered, and maybe the one that is missing depreciation.  If the rental property that is missing depreciation is not there, select the tab for Add Another Rental or Royalty and enter your information about this rental property.

If all three rental properties are there, select the one you need to edit.   On the screen Review Your Rental Summary, scroll down the screen to Sale of Property/Depreciation and select Start or Update.  On the screens that follow, check your entries about this property.  You will need to enter, among other things, your cost basis, the cost basis of the land, and the dates you placed the rental property in service.  After the pricing information has been entered, you should see the screen, Asset Summary.  Here you should see your depreciation for this rental property as well as other information.    

@freewheeler23 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

What exactly is TurboTax 2022 not showing? The entire rental property? Or just the depreciated asset in the Assets/Depreciation section?

It is not showing the depreciation option. Also I don't know how to figure it.

Carl
Level 15

"You" don't figure the depreciation amount. The program does that "for you" after you enter the property in the Assets/Depreciation section.

If you're not seeing the Assets/Depreciation section, then I'm guessing you made an incorrect selection on a prior screen. Most likely, you selected "royalty income" instead of "rental income". It's also possible that you may be jumping all over the place in the program, instead of doing things in the order the program is designed and intended for. Jumping around can cause this too, as you have to complete the "Property Profile" section first.

User2025

I was not able to find the Sale of Property/Depreciation option.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If this is for a rental, first enter the 2023 income and expenses for that rental. 

Go to the "Property Profile" section and complete the interview 

On the third screen in, you're asked "Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property"

Be sure to select "SOLD ""I sold or disposed this property in 2023" and any other situations you might have, such as passive loss carryovers 

CONTINUE until you get to the "Review Your Rental Summary" screen

IF THE PROPERTY HAS NOT BEEN ENTERED IN YOUR TURBOTAX PROGRAM-

Select "Sale of Property/Depreciation" from the list 

Enter that details of the rental, including the cost/basis of the building and the land. 

ON THE "TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS RENTAL ASSET" be sure to select "This item was sold, retired, stolen, destroyed, disposed of...." 

The date sold

as well as any other items, such as "I purchased this asset"  and if you have always used this as a rental.

CONTINUE

(if you loose your place, you may need to go into the "Rental and Royalties" section

Answer "Yes" to "Do you want to review your rental and royalty information?'

Select the answer for "Real Estate Professionals" and CONTINUE)

Select EDIT for the property from the list on the "Rental and Royalty Summary" screen 

Select Sale of Property/Depreciation

Select "Yes" to "Do you want to go directly to your asset summary?" CONTINUE

Select EDIT for the property 

Continue through the interview reporting that it was sold 

Continue to enter the sale price and expenses for the land and building

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

@User2025 
I was not able to find the Sale of Property/Depreciation option.

That's most likely because in the Property Profile section you did not select the option for "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in 2023". 
If you do not select that option, then what you're looking for will appear as "Assets/Depreciation"

If you DO select that option, then it appears as "Sale of Assets/Depreciation" or "Sale of Property/Depreciation"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies