turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dougw2007
Returning Member

Help is my Turbo tax broken?

I have spent hours working on taxes and I thought I was pretty much done.

But I went back to change on thing and now it is all screwed up.

I have two rental properties and was working on the depreciation. 

All of a sudden my tax owed drops from 5900 to 3400.

The summary shows I made zero profit on renting out a house. 

This seems impossible as I collected 16.8k in rent and had typical expenses of water power, prop taxes, and then the depreciation. Depreciation is 5k.

In the summary page it shows I have no expenses at all even though they are entered in the pages before this summary screen.

Tearing my hair out trying to figure out why this is happening.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
dougw2007
Returning Member

In the forms view my other rental has numbers in the from sch e column. This rental has no entries in the sch e form.

dougw2007
Returning Member

In my forms view where does the rental income show up on the 1040. Now I have capital gain, dividends social security a small profit from a sch c business but nowhere do I see any income from rentals.

dougw2007
Returning Member

I have filled in the expenses and it shows zeroI have filled in the expenses and it shows zero

dougw2007
Returning Member

I can enter expenses all day long and they will never show up.expenses so far.jpg

dougw2007
Returning Member

fortunately I have saved and saved along the way. I have a pdf file of what I believe the right stuff is.

It shows the numbers on sch 1 line 10 and they are put on to sch e and also on to the 1040 line 8 other income.

So for some reason turbo tax keeps blowing up and will not add in the second rental property any more.

I would like to change a small thing but risk blowing it up and I only have the one file now that is pretty much right. All I wanted to do was change some of the expenses as I have thought of a couple more but when I do that the thing reverts back to only having one rental property and won't add the second correctly.

Maybe you can only do one rental with one turbotax?

dougw2007
Returning Member

I found a copy that was working and decided to go with that (see above) 

It check my return and said it was great and then offered audit defense for 60 bucks. 

I decided to do that this year and went through the payment process. It said it needed to save my return before going to the payment window. 

It saved it and when I came back to the still open turbo tax on the win 10 machine it is now down to the 3400 tax that I owe so obviously it somehow just went from saying 5900 to 3400 with out me doing anything and not even closing the window. The window (program) was open on the computer all the time and I made no entries and did not touch it. 

This thing is screwed up 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Given the issues you are experiencing, one option is to contact our Product Support team and discuss with them what you are experiencing.  Product Support may be able to send you a replacement copy.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article that explains how to contact Product Support depending on the product you are using.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@dougw2007

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dougw2007
Returning Member

I tried to reinstall the software and it said missing a cabinet file. But I was able to download a new copy and got it working.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies