Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, is there a way to change the amount of capital losses used in 2022. Turbotax defaults to $3000 but I don't need to use the full amount and want to carry it over.

If I have a capital gain of $2000 and only want to use $2000 this year, how can I change that number?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello, is there a way to change the amount of capital losses used in 2022. Turbotax defaults to $3000 but I don't need to use the full amount and want to carry it over.

If you have investment sale losses, after you subtract the losses from your gains you can only deduct up to 3,000 (1,500 MFS) per year. The rest you will have to carryover until it is used up. You can't skip a year.

But if you have a negative AGI or negative taxable income it will show up on 1040 BUT it won't reduce the carryover to the next year.  So maybe if you can't use  the whole 3,000 it will carryover the rest.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't change it. There are no choices or options about how capital losses are used on your tax return. The losses have to be used as specified in the tax law. The losses are first used to offset any capital gains. Then $3,000 of the remaining loss is used to offset ordinary income (as long as your ordinary income is $3,000 or more). Any remaining capital loss is carried over to the following year.

first capital losses must be used to offset capital gains. if there is still an excess of capital losses up to $3000 (except MFS) must be used to offset other income but only to the extent it doesn't create negative adjusted gross income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies